The establishment of this system was a “first” for the FP Club when it was introduced in 1921 and, its success having been demonstrated, the scheme was copied later by the Clubs of other schools. The system was developed on the suggestion of David Scott, then in Colombo, who conceived the idea that it would be of help to the many FPs taking up posts abroad if they could be provided with a point of contact in countries where they otherwise had no connections. The scheme was warmly welcomed and supported by members overseas, and in a very short space of time there was published in the Magazine a list of more than 50 Consular appointments. A responsible member of the Club could be found in most parts of the world to which FPs were likely to go. The object was to have an FP available to advise and assist with local knowledge and contacts, and many tributes have been paid to the valuable service given by Consuls. The late Theodore Watt, as Club Secretary, had regular correspondence with many of the Consuls in his day, and news of the FPs whom they had met through their consular work frequently found its way into the “Notes about Old Boys” which he compiled for the Magazine. The only complaint ever heard is from Consuls themselves, namely that they have too few opportunities to carry out their functions. In today’s changed circumstances of travel and communication the need for Consuls has perhaps diminished and the list of Consuls has shrunk considerably, but those remaining do still have calls made upon them from time to time and value this means of having contact with fellow FPs.